Sunday 14 September 2008

Fashionably late

So I'm coming a little late to the whole blogging thing. I have friends who have already started, maintained and eventually abandoned their blogs. This was one good reason not to start one, I thought. I was also concerned that having a blog would result in my spending too much time on the internet and not enough doing things I enjoy (or things I ought to be doing) in the real world.

Now Facebook has revealed to me the fact that I already spend too much time on the internet, so I figured, what the hell. Especially as lots of other people evidently do too, and some of them might read my blog. This deals nicely with another concern: that no-one would read my blog anyway, thus rendering it a waste of time. It could still be a waste of time even if people read it of course, but I'd never do anything with that kind of thinking...

I think Facebook has had another effect too - its now quite normal for us to share things with a smallish group of people we count in some way as our friends. Seen in that light, a blog need not seem like such a grandiose undertaking. I'll give it a try, anyway, and if it turns out to be a bit shit, I'll just delete it.

No comments: